Protect Yourself from Noise
Protect yourself and your family from noise-induced hearing loss
Who should worry about noise?Everyone. No matter how old or young you are, too much exposure to loud noise can permanently damage your hearing. Whether it’s the screech of a chain saw, the sudden blast of a hunting rifle, or the roar of a lawn mower, exposure to loud sounds can cause noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL). NIHL is serious. Some 30 million people are at risk in the workplace, in recreational settings, and at home. In fact, it is the second most self reported work-related illness or injury. Already, 22 million American adults ages 20 to 69 have permanently damaged their hearing from exposure to loud sounds.
What is the WISE EARS!®campaign?To help prevent NIHL, the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) has teamed with the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and diverse national organizations to create the WISE EARS!® health education campaign. WISE EARS!® is spreading the word that:
- Hearing matters.
- NIHL is preventable.
- WISE EARS!® can last a lifetime.
How can I prevent NIHL and have WISE EARS!® for life?No matter what kinds of work and recreation are a part of your life, you can take steps to prevent NIHL.
- Know how much noise is too much.
- Protect your hearing in noisy environments.
- Tell others how to prevent NIHL.
- Contact WISE EARS!® coalition members for assistance.
At the WISE EARS!® Web site:
- Visit the Kids and Teachers Page
- Play with the Interactive Sound Ruler
- Hear 30-second Radio Spots
- Find Coalition Members
- Explore Classroom Activities
- Watch “What Is Sound” (video)
- Get Answers to Hearing Questions
- Read About Coalition Activities